1. How to apply under the Working Holiday Schemes?
Eligible applicants may approach the consulates concerned in Hong Kong directly for enquiries and application forms. For details, please browse the relevant websites or call the consulates by phone.

New Zealand Consulate-General Hong Kong
Enquiry telephone: 2525 5044
Website: www.nzembassy.com/hong-kong or www.immigration.govt.nz

Australian Consulate-General, Hong Kong
Enquiry telephone: 2827 8881
Website: www.hongkong.china.embassy.gov.au or www.immi.gov.au

Consulate of Ireland, Hong Kong
Enquiry telephone: 2527 4897
Website: www.consulateofireland.hk

German Consulate General Hong Kong
Enquiry telephone: 2105 8788 / 2105 8745
Website: www.hongkong.diplo.de

Consulate-General of Japan in Hong Kong
Enquiry telephone: 2522 1184
Website: www.hk.emb-japan.go.jp

Consulate General of Canada in Hong Kong
Enquiry telephone: 3719 4700
Website: www.hongkong.gc.ca

Consulate General of the Republic of Korea in Hong Kong
Enquiry telephone: 2529 4141
Website: http://hkg.mofat.go.kr

Consulate General of France in Hong Kong and Macau
Enquiry telephone: 3752 9900
Website: http://www.consulfrance-hongkong.org/

British Consulate-General in Hong Kong
Enquiry telephone: 2901 3000
Website: www.gov.uk/government/world/organisations/british-consulate-general-hong-kong
Note: HKSAR passport holders, apart from meeting the eligibility criteria for the scheme, must also obtain a valid Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) before applying the visa with the British Consulate-General in Hong Kong. Details of CoS and its registration can be found at the website: www.labour.gov.hk/eng/plan/whs.htm.

2. Who can apply?
- Aged between 18 and 30 and travelling without any children;
- Must be a resident of the HKSAR and holder of a valid HKSAR or British National (Overseas) passport;
- Going abroad primarily for holiday;
- Holding a return or onward ticket, or possessing sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket; and
- Being able to produce financial proof of available funds (please refer to Question 3 for details) to meet his/her living costs while staying overseas.
For detailed eligibility criteria of any individual working holiday scheme, please refer to the dedicated webpage of the relevant country.

Reminder: When making the application for working holiday visa, please ensure that the information provided is accurate. Any applicants who willfully give any false information in the application form or withhold any material information, may be liable to disqualification for the Scheme. Even if your applications have been approved by the Government of the host country, your visa may be cancelled or you would be prohibited from joining the Working Holiday Scheme.

3. Is financial proof required?
Yes. The amount of financial proof (e.g. bank books), which varies from country to country, is required by the following countries as below:
New Zealand About NZ$4,200
Australia About AU$5,000
Ireland About HK$25,000 ~ 35,000
Germany About Euro 2,000
Japan About 200,000 Yen
Canada About CDN$2,500
Korea About US$2,500
France About HK$25,000
United Kingdom About £1,800

The above amount is for reference only. In case of doubt, please contact the relevant consulates for the exact amount of financial proof required.

4. Is an insurance plan a must for all Working Holidaymakers?
The Working Holiday Schemes for New Zealand, Ireland, Germany, Japan, Canada, Korea, France and United Kingdom require applicants to take out insurance plans throughout their stay in those countries.

Working holidaymakers, especially for the Australia WHS, are strongly advised to take out suitable medical, hospitalisation and liability insurance policy before their departure to cover the possible related cost incurred abroad.

5. Will the HKSAR Government provide subsidies/accommodation for the participants?
No. Participation in the Schemes is voluntary. Participants should work out their own itineraries, have enough funds to meet their travelling expenses and hold a travel ticket. In considering the applications, the relevant consulates will require the participants to produce financial proof and return tickets for reference. For details, they may approach the consulates concerned.

6. How to seek job opportunities in the host countries?
Participants can browse the following websites for the jobs and vacancies available in the relevant countries. Many seasonal work opportunities, like those in farms and orchards, are provided in the host countries, which are suitable for participants of the Schemes.
New Zealand www.workandincome.govt.nz
Australian www.jobsearch.gov.au
Ireland www.fas.ie
Germany www.young-germany.de
www.arbeitsagentur.de (in German only)
Canada www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp
Korea www.workingholidayinfocenter.org/en
France www.france.fr/en/tags-en/working-and-succeeding-france
United Kingdom www.gov.uk/browse/working

7. What are the differences between the Working Holiday Schemes and ordinary visit visas or student visas?
Young people who have successfully applied for admission to the Schemes will be issued a Working Holiday Visa or relevant documentation, including a Letter of Introduction to exchange for a work permit, by the relevant consulate for them to stay lawfully in the host country to travel and take up short-term employment. Ordinary visit visa or student visa holders are not allowed to work in the country they are visiting. For details, please approach the relevant consulates concerned.

8. How long is the validity of the Working Holiday Visa or the relevant documentation? ?
Participants for the Youth Mobility Scheme of the United Kingdom may stay in United Kingdom for a period of up to 24 months. Holders of the Working Holiday Visa or relevant documentation may stay in other host countries for a maximum period of 12 months. For details, please approach the consulates concerned.

9. Are there any restrictions on age and frequency of participation under the Working Holiday Schemes?
People aged between 18 and 30 are eligible, and in general each of them may visit the same country only once under the Working Holiday Schemes. For details, please approach the relevant consulates.

Starting from 1 November 2005, working holidaymakers who have taken up specified seasonal works in regional Australia for a minimum of three months while on their first working holiday visa, would be eligible to apply for a second working holiday visa. For details, please visit

10. Is there any quota imposed?
Yes. The annual quotas for the Working Holiday Schemes are as follows:

Country Quota
Ireland 100
Germany 300
New Zealand 400
Canada 200
Japan 250
Australia Not applicable
Korea 500
France 200
United Kingdom 1,000 for HKSAR passport holders;
No quota for holders of British National (Overseas) passport

Except for the Working Holiday Scheme with Japan and the Youth Mobility Scheme of the United Kingdom, all eligible applications will be approved on a first-come-first-served basis. For details, please approach the consulates concerned.

11. Can New Zealanders, Australians, Irish, German, Japanese, Canadians, Koreans, French or British visit Hong Kong under the Working Holiday Schemes?
Yes. Young people from the above nine places may visit Hong Kong by joining the Working Holiday Schemes. For details, they can approach the Chinese Embassies or Consulates-General in their countries or browse the website of the Immigration Department of the HKSAR Government at www.immd.gov.hk.

12. What should I do if I have anything stolen or in case of emergency?
If you lose your money, passport or any other things abroad, report it first to the local police and request for a documentary proof of the loss. You may inform the diplomatic representative or consular organ of China in that state about the loss immediately, or call the 24-hour hotline of the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit of the Immigration Department at (852)1868 to request for assistance.

Please refer to the following websites for relevant Chinese Diplomatic and Consular Missions: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China: www.fmprc.gov.cn
Immigration Department of Hong Kong: www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_10a.htm

Remarks: Details of the Working Holiday Schemes with the different host countries may vary from time to time. You are advised to check with the website(s) of the relevant host country before submitting your visa application.